I never stop thinking about the kind of man I want to be and the men I want to help build. Proverbs gives some great insights about a "man of understanding." This is who I want to be and how I want to behave.
1. Delights in wisdom: Prov. 10:23 A fool finds pleasure in evil conduct, but a man of understanding delights in wisdom.
2. Holds his tongue: Prov. 11:12 A man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his tongue.
3. Keeps a straight course: Prov. 15:21 Folly delights a man who lacks judgment, but a man of understanding keeps a straight course.
4. Is even-tempered: Prov. 17:27 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.
5. Draws out the purposes in others: Prov. 20:5 The purposes of a man’s heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out.
6. Maintains order: Prov. 28:2 When a country is rebellious, it has many rulers, but a man of understanding and knowledge maintains order.
This is the kind of man I want to be. You?