In January 2011, I started a new practice in my bible reading, study and thinking…writing my own scroll. I first heard of this idea from one of our amazing next generation leaders, John Ott. At lunch one day he showed me Deut. 17:18-20
Since January, I have not copied the Law but have personally written and copied Romans, Hebrews, Ephesians and now 1 Corinthians verse by verse. This practice is rocking my mind and soul and world.
1. To begin, pick a small book in the NT…James, Ephesians, Philippians…
2. Get a small “Moleskin” type notebook.
3. Begin with 1:1 and copy a few verses at a time on the right side of the page…if you have 10 minutes one morning or 50 minutes…copy only a few.
4. Write slowly for depth and not distance. Take your time. Enjoy the ride. The goal is not to get through it but for the Word of God to get in you.
5. Write out comments, questions, observations, question and drawings on the left side opposite your verses. J
6. Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you write. He wants to commune and communicate with you all the time.
7. Pick up at the next verse on your next time and keep writing.
I believe this simple practice will renew your mind, restore your soul and redirect your decisions, which will lead to great outcomes. Try it. Let me know how it changes you.