Thursday, June 23, 2011
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
In January 2011, I started a new practice in my bible reading, study and thinking…writing my own scroll. I first heard of this idea from one of our amazing next generation leaders, John Ott. At lunch one day he showed me Deut. 17:18-20
Since January, I have not copied the Law but have personally written and copied Romans, Hebrews, Ephesians and now 1 Corinthians verse by verse. This practice is rocking my mind and soul and world.
1. To begin, pick a small book in the NT…James, Ephesians, Philippians…
2. Get a small “Moleskin” type notebook.
3. Begin with 1:1 and copy a few verses at a time on the right side of the page…if you have 10 minutes one morning or 50 minutes…copy only a few.
4. Write slowly for depth and not distance. Take your time. Enjoy the ride. The goal is not to get through it but for the Word of God to get in you.
5. Write out comments, questions, observations, question and drawings on the left side opposite your verses. J
6. Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you write. He wants to commune and communicate with you all the time.
7. Pick up at the next verse on your next time and keep writing.
I believe this simple practice will renew your mind, restore your soul and redirect your decisions, which will lead to great outcomes. Try it. Let me know how it changes you.
Sunday, June 19, 2011
- Thankful to be the son of Oscar Woodall, a very tall man. I am glad I am 6.3"...not as tall as the Werner men. ;-)
(Sorry Brian, but you make up for it in heart, brains, drive, money and more. ;-)
- He moved our family to London in 1965. What a ride!
- He was saved in December, 1966 at 40. Turned the trajectory of the Woodall family around.
- He introduced us to Bud Hinkson who led me to Christ in Nov. 1968.
- We travelled the world, and I mean the world, because of him.
- He introduced me to "powerful" men...CEO's of global companys like Exxon/Mobil, Gulf Oil, Chase Bank etc.
- He challenged me to go to Bible College for a year which forever changed my life. It was there that I met Debbie who has been the best wife, friend, lover, Mom, Grandmother, artist and friend these past 36 years.
- He challenged me to set goals and be a leader and a spiritual leader of our home.
- He was faithful to my Mom...I never saw his eyes stray and look at another woman. This impacted me greatly.
- He loved his children and grandchildren...He sought to teach and train us all the best he knew how.
- He loved to tell corny jokes to make us laugh.
- He resigned business and came to FBC as well. He did not just talk about God, he acted on his faith.
- He loved the Word of God...especially his King James Bible. ;-)
- He loved lost people. I have never met an evangelist like him.
- He really would "go anywhere, at any time, to tell lost people how to be saved."
- He started a men's ministry in Reston which would be seeds for my calling to reach men.
- He loved taking us to the rescue mission to love and care for the homeless and broken people.
- He loved singing the great hymns of the faith..."I Stand Amazed in the Presence of Jesus the Nazarene..."
- He was fearless, bold and courageous. ( I will never forget going to the prisons and meeting Ted Bundy on death row)
- He was generous...not only helping us get our first homes but always slipping us 20.00/50.00 bills for gas and miscellaneous.
- He loved to minister to all groups of people...the "up and outers" and the "down and outers."
- He was excellent in business...#1 salesman for Metropolitan Life Insurance...very driven indeed.
- He was excellent in real estate and his investments.
- He prepared Mom to be a widow and he prepared her well.
- He finished his race well...He loved the apostle Paul who wrote in 2 Tim.4.5-9...But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
Dad, I am not sure what people do in heaven, but if you are looking down today, we all want to say thanks for all you did to help us love the Lord with all our hearts and to love His Word. We are all forever changed because of you.
Happy Father's Day.
A beloved Son