Yesterday we took time to celebrate the life of Michael Colwell. A young 31 year old man who went home to the Lord from cancer.
So many thoughts and feelings and Scriptures come to mind. My Dad use to say, "Think Scripture".
1. It's hard to believe he is gone. James 4:14...What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
Psalm 13.16 - All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
1 Peter 1.24 For, “All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, 25 but the word of the Lord stands forever.”
2. Jen and the boys remain. He will bring beauty from ashes. He will be a Father to the Fatherless.
Psa. 68:5 A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.
Is. 61:3 - ...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
Eccles.3.11 He has made everything beautiful in its time.
3. MC ran his race and finished well...2Tim. 4:6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
4. I saw many in deep thought at the service...Eccl. 7:1 A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth. 2 It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.
5. Andy comforted Jen from Mark 5:36 Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” Such important words...do not be afraid...keep believing and trusting.
MC, thanks for the life you lived, the race you ran and the death you died. You have inspired all of us to finish well.