John 17:11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.
I have been in this one verse for several days. When I came to the two words, "Holy Father", I was ambushed by the Lord. I thought I was going to worship the Lord thinking about His holiness and being my heavenly Father. Instead these thoughts fired into my mind..."John, you are the man and minister you are today because of your earthly father." Wow! This was important for me because I have a strange story with my Dad. He was my hero from 0-22. From 22-43 he became very critical of things and people I celebrated. I tended to think about the season of my life when my father took many withdrawals from our relationship.
As those thoughts came into my mind, tears came as I remembered all that my Dad did for my growth and development as a young man:
1. He left the comfort of Miami, Fl and moved our family to London, England in 1965 to 1972.
2. He introduced me to my spiritual father, Bud Hinkson, in 1968.
3. He took us all over the world and gave us a great education.
4. He encouraged me to go to Florida Bible College in 1972 which shaped the direction of my life. It was there that I met and married my sweetheart Debbie in 1975.
5. He introduced me to some really great men and books that shaped me as a man.
I could go on and on...but the point is, the Lord showed me what a great earthly father I had and I wept before the Lord. I wept and gave thanks for all he and my mom did for me and our family. It was that morning that I realized I had 3 fathers...my heavenly Father, my earthly father and my spiritual father. What about you? Are you processing your story with your Fathers?