James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you
I am intrigued by this truth and idea. Resist. What does it mean to resist the devil and how does one do it?
436. aÓnqi÷sthmi anthistemi; from 473 and 2476; to set against, i.e. withstand: —cope with(1), oppose(1), opposed(5), opposing(1), resist(5), resists(2).
As I have thought about and observed the work of the devil I would say the following:
1. We need to believe he is real and not some made up figure or force. He is a very real enemy. Also known as Satan, Lucifer etc…
• 1Chr. 21:1 Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel.
• Job 1:6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Satan answered the LORD, “From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it.”
• Is.1412 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! 13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
2. We need to know his schemes and devices…i.e. to steal, kill and destroy…to confuse and accuse.
• John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
• Rev. 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
3. We need to know the source of our real struggle…it is not against flesh and blood.
• Eph. 6: 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
4. We must put on the whole armor of God…
• Eph.6.10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.
1) TRUTH – the truth will set us free
2) RIGHTEOUSNESS – living a right life
3) READINESS – always ready with the gospel
4) FAITH – we walk by faith and not by sight
5) SALVATION – being saved and belonging to God
6) THE WORD OF GOD – this is the sword of the Spirit
7) PRAYER IN THE SPIRIT – pray with out ceasing
8) BE ALERT – always be watching…
This is the way we RESIST the devil. We do these things and he will flee from us…Thank you Lord for these promises.