Heb. 13:11 The high priest carries the blood of animals into the Most Holy Place as a sin offering, but the bodies are burned outside the camp. 12 And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood.
I have been captured by this thought that Jesus suffered to make me holy through His own blood. This is almost overwhelming. To realize what Jesus did to make me holy…beyond comprehension. All I can do is praise and thank Him for my eternal salvation.
Jesus suffered to make me holy. What do I do? How far do I go to continue to walk in the holiness that He provided? Do I give in to sin and the lusts of the flesh easily or quickly? Or do I suffer as well to live in the holiness that was purchased for me?
Jesus suffered. He suffered many things in doing the will of His Father in heaven and out of love for me…to make me holy.
1 Peter 2.21-25 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. 22 “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.” 23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.
1. What is holiness?
• A person, place or day dedicated or consecrated to God
• A person who is devoted to the service of God
• Morally or spiritually excellent
• Gen. 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
• Ex. 3:5 “Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.”
• Ex. 19:6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”
• Ex. 19:23 Moses said to the LORD, “The people cannot come up Mount Sinai, because you yourself warned us, ‘Put limits around the mountain and set it apart as holy.’”
• Ex. 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
2. How does one become holy?
• I am made holy by the grace and love and mercy of God and the blood and death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
• Eph. 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace
• Eph. 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.
• 1 Peter 1.18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
3. How do I stay holy?
• I stay holy in my daily life by the help and power of the Holy Spirit
• Rom. 8:13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
• Gal. 5:16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
4. What are the blessings and benefits from it?
• There are so many. I will be like and in alignment with the nature and character of my God. I will be holy as He is holy.
• I live with a sense of separation unto God.
• I live with a sense of purpose in this life and the life to come
• Holiness leads to life and peace
• It is simply and just right. It is the righteousness of God in me
• It brings life and peace and security to all those around me.
I am so grateful to God and Jesus for suffering for my sin and me in order to make me holy. I want to live and walk in His holiness and do all the will of Him who died and rose again and is making intercession for me today.
I’m forever grateful.
Make no mistake…this desire to be and live a holy life will be assaulted all the time from my flesh, the world and the devil. These 3 enemies do not want me to live a holy life unto God my Savior. Be alert. Be on guard. Be vigilant. Be strong in the Lord and the power of His might.