Heb. 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
It is so easy to love money. Money, money, money monnnnnnney…as the song goes on the show “The Apprentice”. Donald Trump and the rich and famous are held up in high esteem in our culture.
Why are we tempted to love money?
• We can buy what we want
• It’s more fun to be rich than poor
• It gives you options
• It give us a false sense of security
• We do what we want, when we want
• It causes us to feel significant…I am worth 1 million, 5 million, 1 billion
• We do not have to trust God…we just go and do as we please
• My Dad use to always joke by saying, “I can prove to you that money does not make you happy. My friend who has 10 million dollars is no happier than my friend who has 7 million.” ☺
What is the proper view of money?
1. It all belongs to God…1Chr. 29:11 Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all.
2. God gives the ability to make wealth…Deut. 8:18 But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today.
3. God instructs us to give…2Cor. 8:7 But just as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.
4. It is wise to save…Prov. 21:20 In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.
5. Godliness with contentment is great gain…1Tim. 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
6. There are many dangers to beware of…1 Tim.6:9 People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.
7. The Love of money is a root of all kinds of evil…1 Tim.6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
8. Keep my life free from it…Heb. 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
How do I keep my life free from it?
1. Remember the above truths
2. Be a generous giver
3. Surrender my will and desires to God every day.
4. Be content with what I have
5. Remember that God will never leave me or forsake me.