Heb. 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
My first memory of discontentment was in high school when all my friends were getting in colleges of their choice. I was rejected from Wake Forest and it really made me feel like a failure and I was not content.
This continued on in my life in my 20’s when some of my buddies in business were driving new Mercedes…I was driving a little Canary yellow Ford Fiesta which I paid 600.00.
We bought our first house…a 1500 sq.foot ranch house in Orlando and we were not content with that
You know the feeling right…some has a better girlfriend, boyfriend, car, house, job, what ever…and when we look at it or them…we are not content…we are not satisfied. It doesn’t help if someone comes along and says, Hey be content!. Thanks. Be content with what you have…this is not an easy thing to do. Be content.
One of the reasons we are not content or satisfied is we are trying to get or be content in sources and places that God never intended…as a matter of fact, there is a secret to being content and we have to learn it.
What is contentment?
1. To be in a state of peaceful happiness
2. A state of satisfaction
3. To be satisfied with…this is the key. This is the question. With what or whom am I trying to be satisfied?
a. For some it is a certain level of achievement
b. For others…a good fortune
c. But am I trying to be content with people, places or things when God is calling me to something else, Someone else with whom to be satisfied?
How do I become content?
1. Begin with the fear of the Lord… Prov. 19:23 The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.
2. Contentment does not come from wealth, people, things or places… Eccl. 4:8 There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. “For whom am I toiling,” he asked, “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?” This too is meaningless— a miserable business!
3. There is a secret to being content… Phil. 4:11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
4. The secret is found in a personal growing relationship with Jesus Christ… Phil.4:3 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
5. Thank God that He will never leave us… Heb.13.5…be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
6. Give thanks for all we have…1Tim. 6:8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.